Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Psalm 139

Has it really been two years?  Almost to the day. . .and as I read over my last post, there has only been one major change.  No more job!  Since February 1, 2013 my life has been free from the bonds of working outside the home.  It was a rewarding career of 32 years, yet something told me it was time.  Time to move on to other things. . .more exciting things. . .things geared toward utilizing the special giftings God embedded in my life, even before I was born.  Psalm 139 comes to mind.  In my Bible you will find it marked in pencil as "Geudy's Lesson 6/6/04".  Geudy was a school teacher who lived in our hometown for a short space of time.  He and his wife, along with their three daughters, attended our church and shared their lives with us until God moved them to Florida to be closer to family.  Originally from Haiti, he was willing to share his life story with us one Sunday, and his passage of choice was Psalm 139.

What is so special about Psalm 139?  To me, it holds the key to who I am as a person.  It assures me God knows all about me.  Whether I sit or rise, He perceives my thoughts.  He knows all my comings and goings and even the words I will speak before they hit my tongue.  David, who authored the Psalm, recognized there was no no escaping from God's Spirit nor was there any darkness to hide in, because even darkness is as light to God.

Verses 13-15 are the ones which assure me of my beginnings.  They speak of my inmost being, knit together by God, coming together inside my mother's womb.  They assure me God's eyes were on me even then, when my body was yet unformed.  My comfort during all situations is found in verse 16, "All the days ordained for me were written in Your book before one of them came to be".  Nothing is a surprise to God.  Everything has its purpose in my life.  Never is there a need to worry.  God knows all, understands all, and will see me through, no matter what the situation.

The next few verses talk about God's thoughts. . .precious and vast, they are.  If they could be counted, they would outnumber the grains of sand.  Having vacationed in California and Hawaii this winter, I can vouch for the fact this number would be very large!

After a few choice words about the wicked, and David's desire to be rid of them, he ends the chapter with a request.  "Search me, O God, and know my heart;  test me and know my anxious thoughts.  See if there is any offensive way in me and lead me in the way everlasting."  Seems like a good way for me to end tonight, too.  A song from my past comes to mind:

                   LEAD ON, O KING ETERNAL

Lead on, O King Eternal, The day of march has come;
Henceforth in fields of conquest Thy tents shall be our home.
Thro' days of preparation Thy grace has made us strong,
And now, O King Eternal, We lift our battle song.

Lead on, O King Eternal, Till sin's fierce war shall cease,
And holiness shall whisper The sweet Amen of peace;
For not with swords loud clashing Nor roll of stirring drums;
With deeds of love and mercy, The heavenly kingdom comes.

Lead on, O King Eternal, We follow, not with fears;
For gladness breaks like morning Where'er Thy face appears;
Thy cross is lifted o'er us; We journey in its light:
The crown awaits the conquest; Lead on, O God of might.

Words by Ernest W. Shurtleff, 1862-1917         Music by Henry Smart, 1813-1879

No comments:

Post a Comment