Sunday, March 19, 2017

Angels Watching Over Me

We've gotten to know the road between Crosby and Bismarck quite well over the past two months.  For the most part, Bert does the driving, but today he was looking a little tired, so I volunteered to do the first leg of the journey.  It was a sunny day, with a few wispy clouds which reminded me of angel wings. As we left Crosby, I asked God to have His angels watch over us as we travelled.

For the most part, I am a loyal fan of the cruise control.  I like to set it for the speed limit and let the car keep track of how fast we move.  Today it worked out nicely for me, as the drive was smooth and uneventful.  Surprisingly, not once in the two hour drive to Minot did I have to pass someone, avoid wildlife, or slow down because someone jumped out of a side road in front of me.  There was actually very little traffic in our lane,  but lots on oncoming traffic in the other.

Meeting cars, pickups and trucks, it almost seemed as if I was the only one headed in the wrong direction!  But I knew better.  I knew the way to Bismarck.  Signs along the way assured me I was indeed going the right way, regardless of the fact most were choosing another direction.

At one point the whole scenario gave me a picture of our spiritual journey to heaven.  We know the way, provided long ago when Jesus died on the cross to make it possible.  God's Word is like the signs, showing the way and keeping us headed in the right direction.  At times, it does seem everyone else is going the opposite way, but faith assures us we have made the right choice.


At the midway point in Minot, a stop was made at our favorite gas station to pick up some refreshments and "take care of business".  Bert took over the driving and it was my turn to rest.  The highway provides a solid connection as we make our way toward Bismarck.  In my spiritual journey, I am blessed to have the Holy Spirit at my side, gently telling me, "This is the way, walk in it."  Fellow Christians also encourage me along the way, and prayer is the connection between where I am and my Heavenly Father as He waits for me at the end of my life travels.

Journey on, my friends!  Keep your eyes on the straight and narrow way!


No comments:

Post a Comment