Thursday, January 1, 2015

A Different Direction

When New Years Eve rolls around, what memories surface in your life?  Time for a party?  Gathering with friends and family?  Resolutions to make, only to soon be broken?  To me, New Years brings about a longing to be with special people doing fun things.  This dates back to my high school years when New Years Eve meant gathering at someone's home for an evening of fellowship, game playing, and sharing in the countdown to midnight.  There was always plenty to eat, and Dr. Pepper would satisfy my thirst.

After marriage and moving from my Lutheran heritage into the Assembly of God church, a "new to me" tradition became a part of our lives.  It was called the "Watch Night Service".  There might be a special speaker or perhaps a film was shown.  [Movies were taboo, but a film was acceptable! : ) ]  There was always a break in the activities to allow time for food and fellowship, with the countdown to midnight focused on devoting your life more fully to the Lord.

Over time, this tradition gave way to gathering in homes for times of fellowship.  The last several years, however, the night has been rather uneventful in our world.  A quiet night at home, with maybe a movie to watch or simply "watching the ball drop" on TV.  This year, I was determined to host a gathering of friends, but somehow things went in a different direction.

Tuesday morning I received a phone call from my daughter.  Her four children had been taking turns being sick over the past month and it finally caught up with Mommy.  Was there any way I could take them for a day so she could rest?  As a mother and grandmother, my only reply was, "Of course I can!"  Daddy would take off with the kids at the same time I left our house, and we would meet at the halfway point for the exchange.  We enjoyed a busy day and a half with them before their parents came to retrieve them, arriving in time to share an evening meal together before heading home.

Looking back, I was thankful I hadn't made any definite plans to have friends over for New Years Eve.  Besides being available for the grandchildren, I also had a husband who was still dealing with a cough and cold which had moved into his sinuses.  Somehow, I do believe God knew we would need a quiet evening at home to end the year.

Today, I started the year by reading from Sarah Young's devotional, "Jesus Calling", which I received as a Christmas gift from a dear friend.  The book is written as if Jesus is talking to you, and today He assured me He has a plan for my life.  One of the Scripture references was Jeremiah 29:11.

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord,
plans to prosper you and not to harm you,
plans to give you hope and a future."
 
It is reassuring to know God has a plan.  When the plan turns out to be different than the one I had in mind, it's nice to know He is seeing a bigger picture and therefore can give better direction. 
 
How many times throughout the Bible were people's plans changed because God had a different direction for them to pursue?  Think about Joseph, whose home had just been visited by fascinating and wise men from a far off country.  He likely was thinking about the next carpentry project he needed to tackle when, out of the blue, he's headed off to Egypt with the child, Jesus and His mother, Mary.
 
The other reminder given in the "Jesus Calling" devotional has to do with maintaining a teachable spirit, one eager to be changed.  "Do not cling to old ways as you step into a new year", it says.  The verse referenced is Romans 12:2.
 
"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world,
but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.
Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--
His good, pleasing and perfect will."
 
What does 2015 have in store?  For us, it will be filled with changes as we venture off into the world of North Dakota state politics.  Somehow, it is part of the Lord's plan, and knowing so makes the change easier to face.  Transforming and renewing are waiting in the wings.  "Lord, help me start the year with a teachable spirit!" 



No comments:

Post a Comment