Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Taking the Wrong Road

Living in a new community is interesting, and sometimes challenging.  Although we have had family living in Bismarck for a long time and have doctored here for years, there is something about actually taking up residence which has its own style of adventure.

Take today, for instance.  The Republican Legislative Spouses group met at the Heritage Center for their weekly gathering.  What a wonderful collection of artifacts from North Dakota.  If you are ever visiting, be sure to put it on your list of places to explore.  Since it is located next to the Capitol building, there was no problem getting there.  Afterwards I had a bit of shopping to do, and had no problem navigating the drive to the mall.

Leaving the mall, however, I needed to map in my mind how to get across town to the credit union to deposit some of the money I had received for dues at the meeting.  [Yes, my banking blood came in handy when the treasurer broke a bone in her foot and needed a replacement!]  The plan was to make my way over to to "Washington" and from there head across to "Divide" which would lead me to where the credit union is located.

It was then I made one small error.  I opted to take "Main" to get to "Washington", only to discover it doesn't connect with the street, but rather is one which passes over it.  At this point, I felt I needed to get turned around and back to "Washington".  But how?  I could see the Interstate ahead, and knew I needed to turn prior to reaching it, so turned at a stoplight.  I was delighted to find myself on a road weaving along the edge of the Missouri River.

While it was a beautiful drive, there were unfortunately no roads leading off in the direction I felt I needed to go.  Finally, after thinking I had ventured much to far, I came to a street name I recognized. "Burnt Boat Drive" was a welcome sight, as it was one I remembered seeing on a previous visit to the credit union.  As it turned out, it led directly to the credit union, and I had stumbled upon a short cut with very few traffic lights. . .or perhaps a better position would be to say God led me through uncharted territory to bring me where I needed to be.

Tomorrow morning some of the Legislative spouses are beginning a Bible Study on the life of Moses.  As I thought about it tonight, this is exactly what happened in his life.  His story had many unexpected twists and turns before he finally came forth to lead God's people out of Egypt.  It makes me wonder how many times I have judged someone for their seemingly "wrong choices" when in fact it may be something God has allowed in their path to prepare them for great things in the future.  [Did you remember the part where Moses actually murdered someone?]

As it turned out, my wrong street choices taught me more than one lesson today!  First, there is a nice little river drive I can take if I ever need to get from the mall to the credit union. And second, never question the path someone might be on.  God knows better than we do the proper routes to take, and even the best way to get us back on track if we stray.

"Send me Your light and Your faithful care,
let them lead me;
let them bring me to Your holy mountain,
To the place where You dwell."
Psalm 43:3






No comments:

Post a Comment