Tuesday, May 19, 2015

The Effectual, Fervent Prayer

There is a Bible verse which has been crossing my mind often over the course of the last several days.  Actually, it is the second half of James 5:16, which says, "The effectual, fervent prayer of a righteous [wo]man avails much".  You see, today is my mother-in-law's birthday and in my books she is a living example of the truth contained in this verse.

It was in my plan to do a writing about this wonderful woman who raised my husband, but prior to getting around to it, I noticed my daughter had already written an entry in her blog which clearly expressed much of what I wanted to say.  I hope you will take the time to read it at this link:   http://buildingourfamilyinchrist.blogspot.com/2015/05/her-greatest-contribution.html

Next to my computer keyboard is taped a little clipping from a magazine.  It has been there for a long time.  It features someone writing about their grandmother, and reads as follows:

"Her last days were days of almost continued praying.  And the burden of her prayer then was, as it had previously been, that her posterity might be a godly seed even to the last generation."  Writing to a cousin, Adelia said:  "Have you heard your father tell how she used to pray for her descendants to the end of time?'

Someone took a record of the family and found that in 1857, 300 direct descendants of this godly woman were members of the church.  In another letter Miss Fiske said, "I often think I may be receiving blessings in answer to her prayers, for I know she prayed for her children's children for all coming time."

The writing was placed there for a reason.  It is a reminder of the fact I, too, have an obligation to future generations to be a woman of prayer.  The edges of the paper are a bit ragged, and the paper is showing signs of aging, but it will remain as a special challenge to be faithful in joining the ranks of people who are faithful with their effectual, fervent prayers.

As our family celebrated this past week-end, I found myself asking why it was we are so blessed.  What began as a family with 10 children has mushroomed to a total headcount of 105.  Looking around the room as 82 of the 105 gathered to honor our matriarch for her 84th birthday, I realized we had much to be thankful for.  It was obvious our blessings were part of the "much" which availed from her prayers.

My own heritage includes many who prayed effectual, fervent prayers, as well.  One doesn't have to look far, however to find those who were not given this blessing.  If this is the case in your life, instead of feeling left out, be the one to start a new trend in your family tree.  Be the one who starts a line of generations who receive benefits from the prayers you offer. 

Happy Birthday, Ardis!
Thank you for your many prayers!!   

No comments:

Post a Comment