Thursday, August 19, 2021

Aronia Berries

Perhaps you have never heard of aronia berries.  They were new to me a couple of years ago when a lady in our church introduced me to them.  Her daughter and son-in-law had started growing them organically in Montana, and she shared with me the health benefits packed into these little berries, which look similar to blueberries, but have a very different taste.  Also called "chokeberries" (different from the chokecherries we are familiar with in our area) they are more tart, and have a drying affect on your mouth if eaten alone.  Because of this, it is suggested they be added to other food sources.

After reading about the health benefits, I decided to add them into my diet, and most often sprinkle a handful of them on my breakfast cereal.  They come to me frozen, and so far straight from the freezer is the only way I have eaten them, although my friend who sells them says they are great in smoothies or added to muffins, too.

I searched out a good website to tell you about the berries, and found this one, which also lists the trusted sources they pulled their information from.  If you'd like to research them further, follow this link:

Information on Aronia Berries

A quick summary, should you not want the full information, is they are a great source of fiber, vitamin C, manganese, and very high in antioxidants.  They have potential in being anti-cancer, can be beneficial to your heart and liver, and give your immune system a boost.  Although I am not crediting aronia berries as a solution to fighting the COVID-19 virus, my body did fight it off in May without me experiencing any of the usual symptoms of fever, aches, and loss of taste and smell.  A simple blood test in July assured me I indeed did have a good supply of antibodies to prove it.  Supplementation of Vitamin D has also been important to keeping my immune system healthy, as well as eating right, exercising, and getting the proper amount of sleep.

If you would be interested in trying some of these berries, stop by for a visit.  I can provide you with a sample, and then point you to my friend who sells them.  If you are not interested, I'm okay with that, too, but would say you are passing up a great "super fruit"! 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment