Sunday, October 11, 2015

A Double Portion of Revelations - Part 1: Book Report

All too often books find their way into my house and get relegated to the "back burner".  For some odd reason, it seems scrolling endlessly through FaceBook takes priority over reading books which could enlighten me in new ways.  (Could this be a secret plot on the part of the enemy to distract me?)  Looks like I may need to call on some Holy Spirit help to change my habits.

Fortunately, as we were preparing for our trip to the League of Cities convention, a book which had been purchased some time ago caught my eye.  I opted to bring it along, as there would be free time both on the road and while Bert was attending his meetings.  I'm so glad I did!

Thinking back to school days, there were times we were assigned "book reports" where a book was read and then reported on to the class.  Things to include were the name of the book, author and a summary of what the book was about.  With this in mind, here is my latest report:

 

Title of Book:  "Agents of the Apocalypse"

Author - Dr. David Jeremiah

Summary - The subtitle of the book is "A Riveting Look at the Key Players of the End Times".  As the first chapter unfolded, so did an outline of how future chapters would be presented.  First, there was a fictitious story written about someone playing a role in a particular piece of the "end time puzzle".  For example, chapter one was entitled, "The Exile" and featured a possible scenario of how the apostle John became exiled to the Isle of Patmos.  This was where God revealed to him the events recorded in the book of Revelations.  Following this, the second part of the chapter would come under the heading of "The Scripture Behind the Story".  In this section, the author would share passages from the Bible which inspired him to write the story as he did in the first half of the chapter.

Other "agents" covered in the book were the martyrs, the 144,000, the two witnesses, the dragon, the beast from the sea and the beast from the earth.  If you've ever taken the time to read through the book of Revelations these will sound familiar.  The final three chapters covered the Victor, the King and the Judge, all referring to the role of Jesus in the unfolding of the end of time as we know it.

What I found refreshing in this book was the way the author inserted "lifelike" human characters into a plot which previously had seemed very confusing to me.  Somehow, placing a person who could be you or me into the events made them much easier to comprehend and far less mysterious.  It also left me with the challenge, "Where will my life story fit into these events as they unfold?".  In addition, it gave me a desire to encourage others to read and heed the message of this book, which mirrors the final book of the Bible as inspired by God many years ago.

Have you read the book?  What was your opinion of  it?  Please feel free to share your thoughts in the comments or contact me personally with your reflections.  If you haven't yet read the book, you certainly have my recommendation to make it one to read in the future.




No comments:

Post a Comment