Tuesday, February 2, 2016

What Do You Do [With Your Time]?

One of the joys of my retirement has been participating in a group called the "Music Makers". On a weekly basis we provide entertainment for the residents in our local nursing home, and once a month also perform for the people who reside in our assisted living center.  With an accordion, guitars, harmonicas, banjo and rhythm sticks backing me up, singing the "old time music" never gets old.
 
 
The last time we played at the assisted living center, one of the ladies asked me an interesting question.  She just happens to be 102 years old, and still maintains her own apartment attached to a shared common area.  As I joined her for refreshments following our performance, she looked me in the eye and asked, "What do you do with your time?"  Immediately my mind went blank.  I found myself re-asking the question in my mind.  "What DO I do with my time??"  Had I been thinking, I would have asked her what she would do with her time if she could return to my age!
 
The next day, morning arrived and I found myself wondering what I would do with my time, and whether or not it would be useful in the overall scheme of things.  Mondays and Wednesdays I begin the day at the Lighten Up Wellness Center, doing a Women on Weights class.  On Tuesdays and Thursdays a stretch and breathe yoga class starts the day.  Over the years I have found a consistent exercise program to be helpful in maintaining both physical and mental health.
 
Often, after exercise time is complete, I make my way over to Mabel's house.  Mabel is my aunt and godmother and an inspiration to many in our community.  In her 90's, she maintains a positive outlook on life, despite the health issues she battles.  Although many think the visits are for Mabel's benefit, they usually are just what I need to fuel my day.
 
 
Evaluating the remaining time in my days, I found housework, laundry, cooking and dishes were responsible for a good chunk of time, but more and more what I found as the week progressed was a great deal of time was wasted scrolling through Facebook.  Along with a desire to follow my daughter and son in their commitment to a "February Facebook Fast", came an added dimension to my own fast. . .making better use of my time.  Perhaps by my next visit with one of our community's centurions I will have a better answer as to what it is which captivates my time!
 

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment