Wednesday, July 2, 2014

A Word to the Wise

Coming up on my 40 year Class Reunion, my thoughts often go back to my school days.  If you were to ask any of my classmates what a word to the wise is, they would likely reply, "Sufficient . . .S-U-F-F-I-C-I-E-N-T".  We, at one time, had an English teacher whose favorite saying was, "A word to the wise is sufficient".  We not only had to know the quote, but how to spell the word.

As I think about it today, there comes a question. . .is a word to the wise still sufficient?  Or, if I were to sum up one word to the wise, would I choose a different one?  Looking to God's Word, perhaps I would choose "Love. . . L-O-V-E"!  For one thing, it is much easier to spell.  Also, it encompasses all of what God asks of us in life.

In both Matthew 22 and Mark 12 we find the words of Jesus recording what He felt was the greatest commandment.  He cited two, both referencing love.  First we are to love the Lord our God with all our heart, soul and mind and secondly, we are to love our neighbor as ourselves.  Pretty simple, actually.  I'm thinking the world would be a better place if each of us would take the time to obey.

What would your word to the wise be?

No comments:

Post a Comment