Thursday, October 2, 2014

What's Wrong With This World??

It seem lately there has been a lot of focus on what's wrong with this world.  It frustrates me, since my perfectionism tends to want to fix everything, and there is far too much for me to handle on my own.

So why not change our perspective?  How about focusing instead on what's right.  Start counting blessings.  Make an effort to be a positive influence in the lives of others.  Realize there really is a whole lot of good mixed in with the bad.

When I start to get bogged down with the "woes of the world", I tend to remember what my daughter once told me.  (Actually, probably more than once!)  She says we have to remember we live in a world affected by sin.  It is broken.  It is in a fallen state.

She also likes to remind me of a verse in Ephesians 6:12, which reads as follows:

For our struggle is not against flesh and blood,
but against the rulers, against the authorities.
against the powers of this dark world and
against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.
 
Yes, there is a battle raging much bigger than the one we see playing out with our earthly eyes.  I am so thankful for other verses of Scripture which remind me those forces of evil will eventually be defeated by our great God.  And yes, I do believe (despite all the wrongs in the world) our God is still in control.
 
Perhaps the biggest thing wrong is the direction of our focus.  What do you suppose would happen if we tuned out the wrongs and instead used our energy to focus on what is right with the world?  What if we would, as Hebrews 12:2 suggests, fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith?  What if we would see the world through His eyes, and act accordingly? 
 
If I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times. . ."I can't change the world.  But I can change me."  I can strive to be more like Jesus, and hopefully who I am will somehow influence another for the good.  As a drop of water creates countless ripples, perhaps my influence can even live on after I'm gone. 
 
So, for tonight, I think I'll skip watching the news and instead focus on how many arrangements I can get out of the last of my summer flowers.  Then tomorrow I can brighten the lives of others by sharing them.

 
 
The war against evil won't be won, but a small battle just might see a victory!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment