Thursday, June 12, 2014

Thursday Thoughts from a Farmer's Daughter

'Tis the season here in North Dakota for planting. . .crops, gardens, and flowers all typically find their beginnings in May or June.  I thought I was done with most of my planting last week, but then found a few more items I couldn't pass up, so much of today was spent back out in the yard finding homes for the last of my purchases.

One such purchase was a pack of sweet potato starter plants.  Although I have never attempted growing them, they are something I love to eat, so thought I would give them a try.  Since my garden plot was already established within the borders of my marigold plants, [keeps away the pests, claims my mother-in-law] I decided to simply dig up one more stretch of dirt on the outside of one end of the garden to make room for them.

Thankfully, our son arrived home just in time to help with the initial shoveling, then I got down on my hands and knees and worked out the lumps to prepare the soil.  As I ran my fingers through the dirt, I couldn't help but think of my father.  As a farmer, he spent many springs working through the fields preparing them for crops.  His father before him was a homesteader in our area, as was my mother's father. 

What was it like for those early pioneers, breaking up the sod for the first time?  After doing just one small space by my garden, I could only think of one way to describe it. . .hard work!  And now time will tell if my efforts will be rewarded.

Man's first assignment on earth was to work a garden and take care of it.  (Genesis 2:15)  It's amazing to think about how many times the hands of men and women have planted over the years to sustain the lives of people.  And yet, although we may do the initial work, we must thank God for the growth. . .and I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment