Sunday, November 9, 2014

Constants and Change

It was predicted we would get some snow this week-end.  We got just a dusting.  I'm okay with this, but realize (because I have always lived in this state we call North Dakota) the seasons will soon be changing.  One of these days it will snow, and we will be seeing it every day until spring.  It's just how it works here.  We will say good-bye to fall and hello to winter.  Seasons change.

Thinking about this fact last night led us to center our song service for today around the theme of "change".  The first line Bert came up with was ". . .all may change, but Jesus never. . ." and we had our first song, "Yesterday, Today, Forever".

Mine was the next contribution, when I thought of the chorus, "Change My Heart, O God".  It is good to be reminded, no matter how long you've been a Christian, there is always room for additional heart changing.

Soon Bert was singing the line from another song, ". . .changed in the twinkling of an eye. . ."  I was sure it had been a long, long time since we had last sung this song in church.  In fact, it took us awhile to find it in the hymn book, since the title isn't, "Changed in the Twinkling of an Eye", which we learned when consulting the index under the "C's".  Eventually we found it. . .in the "I" section, as the proper title was, "In the Twinkling of an Eye".  Yes, the change when Jesus returns will be a quick one, so it is best to be ready!

One more song, and we'd have enough for the song service.  As Bert was paging through the hymn book looking for another option, a line popped into my head.  ". . .Thou changest not, Thy compassions they fail not, as Thou hast been Thou forever wilt be."  Although we no longer talk with the words "Thou", "Thy", "changest" and "wilt", you can't go wrong with the classic, "Great is Thy Faithfulness".  If it makes it any easier, just substitute "You", "Your", "change" and "will".

Once we had the songs, we needed to decide on an order.  We opted to start with "Great is Thy Faithfulness" as a reminder God doesn't change.  Next would be "Yesterday, Today, Forever" reminding us Jesus is also a constant and incapable of changing.  We do, however, have the promise of His return, which led to song number three, "In the Twinkling of an Eye".

It seemed appropriate to end with a prayer song asking God to change our hearts so we would be ready for the split second return of His Son.  Join in our heart's cry by reviewing the words, and sing it once again to the Lord if you know the tune.

Change my heart, O God
Make it ever true
Change my heart, O God,
May I be like You.
 
You are the Potter,
I am the clay
Mold me and make me
This is what I pray.  
 
 Change my heart, O God
Make it ever true
Change my heart, O God,
May I be like You.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment