Saturday, November 8, 2014

Saturday Seeking - "What to Wear"

We returned home late last night from a road trip to Bismarck.  For some reason, I have always enjoyed the drive to Bismarck.  Perhaps it is because of the many trips we've taken there over the years to visit my sister and her family, or because of the wonderful help I've received from my doctors there.  Come January, with Bert's involvement in the North Dakota Legislature, we will have an entirely new reason, so I'm thankful God has planted in my heart a fondness for the community.

Besides having three doctor appointments, there was a fourth reason for our being in Bismarck over the last two days.  Through my daughter I was introduced to a young woman who has a business called "Reflecting Radiance" through which she teaches women how to dress in a way to best feature their coloring and body shape.  She does this either in a group setting or, as in my case yesterday, by taking an individual on a two hour shopping trip to teach you first hand what to look for.  Again, because of Bert's new political career, I will be in need of an entirely different kind of wardrobe, so was pleased to receive lots of pointers.



One disappointment was finding out 90% of my current wardrobe features colors which are not the most flattering to me.  I also learned the skirt length I have preferred over the years (mid-calf) is not the best for my body type.  Knee length or to the ankle would be better.  At least one thing in my favor was my preference for 3/4 length sleeves, which I learned could be both slimming and flattering.

Thoughts about clothing and garments led me to remember several Bible verses which talk about ways in which we can best reflect God's presence in our lives.  Using the help of the Bible Gateway website, I also came up with a few additional passages referencing our "spiritual dress".

"You turned my wailing into dancing;
You removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy."
~Psalm 30:11
 
"She is clothed with strength and dignity;
She can laugh at the days to come.
~Proverbs 31:25
 
". . .and provide for those who grieve in Zion--to bestow
on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes,
the oil of gladness instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. . ."
~ from Isaiah 61:3
 
"I delight greatly in the Lord;
my soul rejoices in my God.
For He has clothed me with garments of salvation
and arrayed me in a robe of righteousness,
as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest,
and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels."
~Isaiah 61:10
 
"I [Jesus] am going to send you what my Father has promised;
but stay in the city until you have been clothed
with power from on high."
~Luke 24:49
 
"Meanwhile we groan, longing to be clothed
with our heavenly dwelling."
~2 Corinthians 5:2
 
". . .for all of you who were baptized into Christ have been
clothed with Christ."
~Galatians 3:27
 
It seems there are lots of tips planted throughout the Bible on what we should wear.  How is your spiritual wardrobe looking these days? 
 
[For more on "Reflecting Radiance" see http://www.beautyspeakers.org/KimZubke.html]
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment