Thursday, November 6, 2014

Thursday Thoughts from Two Johns

Sharing tonight some thoughts I recently received from someone named John Smith, a man we met during one of our cruises.  Lately I've been having similar thoughts after reading from my devotional book, "My Utmost for His Highest".  Perhaps God is trying to get a message across to take our eyes off "man created" denominational teachings and turn them instead to Bible based Christ following. We might even start a new movement if we do!

"I thought this morning as I read, how that I might be guilty of being more devoted and committed – to the “cause” of Jesus Christ than to Jesus himself. I think that much of the “combative spirit” in my early ministry was not motivated by my love for Jesus, or even my attempt to defend His honor, but motivated by my love for the “Christian system” – as I understood it - and my attempt to defend my understanding of the doctrine – not about Jesus - but the doctrines of my heritage. Perhaps much of the “issue” orientation and focus among us that causes so much loss of energy and effort and distracts us from what Jesus was about, is due to a misplaced devotion."

It is comforting to know Jesus continues to intercede for us before the Father in heaven, and we have recorded in John 17 the kind of prayer He prays.  Perhaps we should join Him in this kind of praying!

“My prayer is not for them alone [His disciples] 
I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me.  I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are oneI in them and you in me—so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me."
~John 17:20-23

 

No comments:

Post a Comment