Monday, November 10, 2014

On the "To Do" List

It was my intention to have a productive day.  I made the "to do" list last night, as I once read it was helpful to have a list made prior to the start of the new day.  There were ten things on my list, and as of right now, nine of them have been crossed off.  I also did a number of extra things not on the list.  Seems to me I should be satisfied.  But I'm not.

For some reason, it seems no matter how much is accomplished in a day, there are always so many more things waiting for the next day's list.  Wouldn't it be nice to look around the house at the end of the day and say, "I wonder what I could possibly find to do tomorrow?"  Something tells me this could only happen in my dreams!

While thinking about all this, I was reminded of three words spoken by Jesus as He completed the work He had to do on this earth.  You find them recorded in John 19:30.

"It is finished."
 
God had given Jesus an assignment, a "to do" list of sorts, and His death on the cross completed it for all people and for all time.  Hebrews 2:17 puts it this way:
 
"For this reason He [Jesus] had to be made like them, fully human in every way, in order that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, and that he might make atonement for the sins of the people."
 
Tonight I am thankful Jesus was faithful and finished His task.  As for me, I will keep plugging away and perhaps one day, when God calls me home, there will come a time when the only thing left on my "to do" list will be spending an eternity offering praises around the heavenly throne.  For some reason, a song comes to mind:
 
"What a day that will be
when my Jesus I will see
And I look upon His face,
the one who saved me by His grace;
When He takes me by the hand,
and leads me to the Promised Land
What a day, glorious day that will be." 
 
Until then, I best check on making my list for tomorrow. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment